8/18/10

O+ ARTIST: Arielle Falk, Brooklyn

Just named Best in Show in the Village Voice, Arielle Falk is a Brooklyn-based artist working in video, performance, and sculpture. She has exhibited her work both internationally and nationally in galleries and festivals in London, Zurich, Seoul, Greece, Canada, New Zealand, New York City, and soon, Kingston, NY. 



O+ looks forward to screening the piece ALEGRIAS (film still at left).

A Statement from the Artist
"I put ski masks on my head, one on top of another, until I am unable to breathe, at which point I pause for a minute and then proceed to take them off one by one. 

ALEGRIAS describes a simultaneous desire to be both seen and unseen and questions the ways society encourages us to discover and classify ourselves according to “identity.” In this nervous, ritualistic act, I challenge my own endurance as well as the viewer’s and address the suffocating never-ending presence of the self."



No comments:

Post a Comment